(Photo Credit to the UCCS Twitter account, @UCCSBaseball)
After taking the fifth seed in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference Tournament, the Mountain Lions will look to build on their inaugural season. UCCS tied for fourth in the regular season standings, but lost the tiebreaker to Colorado State-Pueblo after a loss to the Thunder Wolves in the only conference game between the two teams last season. The Mountain Lions went 22-25 overall (17-16 in conference action) and lost in the first round of the RMAC Tournament in extra innings.
There’s plenty of excitement for the team this year, as construction began in early July on a $13.3 million baseball and indoor track facility. Mountain Lion Park will feature a view of Pulpit Rock for fans and include an all-turf field with lights for night games, batting cages, press box, and seating. The stadium hopes to be finished in time for the 2018 season. After recruiting a junior-heavy roster, Coach Hajek is looking to climb up the standings and advance further in the RMAC tournament leaning on his team’s experience and strong defensive work.
Colin Ludwig – Third Baseman – Sophomore
- RMAC Freshman of the Year
- .331 average, 51 hits during 2017 season.
- Led the team with 17 doubles, fifth in RMAC conference with 0.36 doubles per game.
- Enjoyed a 21-game hitting streak.
Joe Slocum – Closer – Redshirt Junior
- Lead RMAC in saves with eight.
- All-RMAC First Team (one of two relievers on First Team).
- 26th overall in Division II for saves.
Bryan Chapin – Catcher – Senior
- Led the league, .429 batting average (minimum 25 games played).
- Strong defense, .983 fielding percentage.
Zach Hall – Outfielder – Senior
- Second in RMAC with 13 home runs.
Colin Cicere – Starting Pitcher – Junior
- All-RMAC Second Team
- RMAC Gold Glove Team
Efrain Medina – Second Baseman – Red Shirt Senior
- RMAC Gold Glove Team
With final rosters not coming out until January, the Mountain Lions hope their recruits can make an impact this upcoming year.
Gavin Kinney – Starting Pitcher – Freshman
- Posted a 1.17 ERA.
- Helped lead his team to the Avocado West Conference Championship.
Walker Rumsey – Pitcher/Outfielder – Freshman
- Second Team All-Jefferson County
- All-State honorable mention
- Hit .387 with a .465 on-base percentage including 42 hits, 20 RBIs, 37 runs and 20 stolen bases.
- Helped lead his team to the district title game.
Matai Bala – Pitcher/First Base – Freshman
- Went 5-2 with one shutout and a 2.43 earned run average.
- Lead team to CIF San Diego Division III playoffs.
Henry Ryan – Infielder – Freshman
- First Team All-Front Range League
- Honorable mention All-region
- Hit .346 last season in junior campaign.
Hayden Salverda – Pitcher – Freshman
- Helped lead team to the 2015 CIF San Diego Section championship.
- 2016 San Diego Union Tribune All-Academic team.
Dagin Renck – Pitcher/Outfielder – Freshman
- Academic All-State First-Team
- All-Northern League Honorable Mention
- Helped lead team to the 2016 district championship and a berth in the state playoffs.